MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) gloves are a special kind of gloves that facilitate both punching and grappling moves. They are open-fingered gloves, which may have an open or a closed thumb. The palm is left open to maximize ventilation. The wrist is protected by an adjustable wrist band that is closed by laces or a Velcro strap. The top of the glove has padding that protects the knuckles, while the open fingers enable submission and grappling techniques.
Brief history of MMA gloves
These gloves are seen in hybrid martial arts like Quánfǎ (China) and Kenpō (Japan), as well as in their variations like Shorinji Kenpo, Nippon Kenpo, Okinawan Kenpo, and American Kenpo. The 1973 movie “Enter the Dragon” starring Bruce Lee made these gloves more popular. In 1985, Satoru Sayama of Japan founded Shooto, which is a hybrid full-contact martial art, influenced by Shoot Wrestling, Catch Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing, Karate, Muay Thai, Sambo, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. These open-fingered gloves were made mandatory in competitions of Shooto. When MMA became a regulated sport, then the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), an American company promoting MMA, also made wearing this kind of glove mandatory in its MMA matches.
Types of gloves
Based on how they are used, MMA gloves may be classified into three types, namely, competition gloves, sparring gloves, and grappling gloves.
—Competition gloves. These gloves are worn in competitions, where generally, professional fighters prefer gloves weighing overall 4oz, and amateurs prefer gloves weighing overall 6oz. The gloves feature open half-fingers and an open palm, with generally, an open thumb.
—Sparring gloves. These gloves are worn in sparring, which may involve bag work or practicing with a sparring partner. In sparring a lot of punching takes place and thus, these gloves have extra padding on the knuckles. The padding is usually 7oz or more. In sparring a closed thumb glove is most often used to prevent accidental injuries.
—Grappling gloves. These gloves are used while practicing grappling moves. These gloves are also known as training or hybrid gloves. Since the focus is more on grappling and less on punching, the gloves have less padding on the knuckles and are lighter in weight compared to competition or sparring gloves. To increase gripping ability, usually open thumb gloves are worn.
Pacific Sports MMA Gloves
Pacific Sports offers highest quality of gloves having the following features and benefits:
1. Excellent premium leather. Gloves are made of high-quality leather that lasts without cracking or peeling
2. Becomes more and more comfortable. The leather softens and stretches with wear making it extremely comfortable over time
3. Suitable for varied use. Perfect for competitions, sparring, bag work or grappling
4. Increased protection. Dense padding over the back of the hand and knuckles provide enhanced shock absorption
5. Designed for MMA
— Open half-fingers for maximum grip
— Open or Closed thumb for grappling or sparring
— Open palm to provide increased ventilation that helps keep hands dry
6. Full wrap wrist strap. Full wrap wrist strap for enhanced wrist protection against impact
7. Customizable Velcro wrist strap. The wrist strap is made of Velcro that offers a fully customizable, secure and comfortable fit
8. Superior construction. Made with highest quality materials and stitching that increases functionality and durability
9. Various colors. Available in various colors including Black, Red, and Blue. Please check the available color on the product page.
10. Two adult sizes. Available in Medium (7.5cms – 8.5cms) and Large (9cms – 9.5cms) sizes.
To check your size measure the distance across the punching knuckles on the back of your hand (Do this by laying your knuckles flat on a ruler). Measure from the side of your hand at the index finger across the 4 knuckles.
Pacific Sports quality
All products sold at Pacific Sports undergo rigorous testing. Numerous gyms and martial arts schools of Australia and the world, rely on the Pacific Sports quality for tough and long-lasting products, which includes uniforms, jackets, pants, belts, shoes, rash guards, compression wear, protective wear and training gear. Additionally, products offered on sale carry this same high quality but with drastically reduced prices. Moreover, if the monthly newsletter is subscribed, then an additional 10% discount is also offered.
1. UFC. webpage. “Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts”. Available at: https://www.ufc.com/unified-rules-mixed-martial-arts#10 [Accessed on 30 Sept 2022].
2. USA Shooto. webpage. “What is Shooto?”. Available at: https://www.usashooto.com/ [Accessed on 30 Sept 2022]
3. YouTube. AlexMovieClips video “Li’s sparring fight at the Shaolin monastery. Enter the Dragon”. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPb1zYtbFw [Accessed on 30 Sept 2022].