A gi comes in several weights from 8oz to 18oz, and they may be light-weight, medium-weight, or heavy-weight. The weight of a fabric depends on how the fabric of a gi is woven. A gi comes in different fabrics, which are normally cotton, canvas, or a blend of polyester-cotton. These fabrics can be woven in several different ways like plain weave, weft-faced weave, warp-faced weave, twill weave, satin weave, tapestry weave, weft patterning weave, twining weave, knotted pile weave and many more.
Normally, a gi comes in single weave, double weave, gold weave, pearl weave, pearl plus weave, honeycomb weave and ripstop weave.
Weaves and weights
—Single weave and ripstop weave fabrics are light-weight fabrics. They weigh from 8oz to 10oz. These are generally suitable for beginner students.
—Pearl weave and pearl plus weave fabrics are a bit heavier than single weave fabrics, due to which they are sometimes also considered as medium-weight fabrics. They weigh from 12 oz to 14 oz. These are generally suitable for intermediate students.
—Gold weave and honey comb weave are medium-weight fabrics. They weigh 14 oz. These are generally suitable for intermediate students.
—Double weave is a heavy-weight fabric. It weighs from 16oz to 18oz. These are generally suitable for advanced students.
Besides the weaves and weights of the fabrics of a gi, other aspects like its functionality, design, colour, fit/size, stitching, ease of washing, and price, are also important.
Which gi to buy?
There is no hard and fast rule. Generally, light-weight gi is for beginner students, medium-weight gi if for intermediate students, and heavy-weight gi is for advanced students. Essentially, the gi should be functional, so that deep stances and high kicks can be done easily, while feeling extremely comfortable during intense training sessions.
Outstanding features of Pacific Sports gi
- Consists of jacket and pants (no belt)
- For Karate/ Taekwondo/ Jiu-Jitsu/ Judo
- Available in cotton, canvas, or poly-cotton
- Heavy-duty double stitching at the seams
- Delivers a good ‘snap’ when punching and kicking
- Jacket is cut generously through the shoulders and chest to allow for a full range of movement
- Pants have a full gusset that allows room for deep stretches and high kicks without pulling at the seams
- Elasticated waist in the pants means they fit comfortably and with a narrow internal drawstring it can be adjusted to fit your waist size for a secure fit
- Fabric may be pre-shrunk or non pre-shrunk
- Pre-shrunk fabric gi undergoes minimal shrinkage over time
- Non pre-shrunk fabric gi is made with a shrinkage allowance allowing for natural shrinkage when washed. When trying on before washing it should feel about 1 size large to be a comfortable fit after washing
- Hard-wearing and durable
- Extremely comfortable
- Economically priced
- Available in white, black, blue colours. Please see product page for colour
- Available in different sizes. Please see the size chart for your size
Pacific Sports quality
All products sold at Pacific Sports undergo rigorous testing. Numerous gyms and martial arts schools of Australia and the world, rely on the Pacific Sports quality for tough and long-lasting products, which includes uniforms, jackets, pants, belts, shoes, rash guards, compression wear, protective wear and training gear. Additionally, products offered on sale carry this same high quality but with drastically reduced prices. Moreover, if the monthly newsletter is subscribed, then an additional 10% discount is also offered.