Nowadays, a gi comes in various colors, with the most common being white, black, blue and red. So, which gi color should you buy? This article answers some questions that might help you to determine the right color for your martial arts practice.
Which color is accepted in your dojo?
Dojos have different policies and rules regarding the color of a gi. A dojo following the traditional way would insist on a white gi with different coloured belts showing the different levels of skills attained by the students. Some schools may insist on a white top but are flexible with pants being either white or black, provided the student is a black belt. Some Judo schools have flexible rules and a student may wear a white or a blue gi, while some BJJ schools are open to all types of gi colours including purple, pink, red, or a mix of two colors.
Therefore, follow the policy of your dojo and wear what other students at your skill level wear. It is important to blend in with other students so that you become a team member and a part of the overall family of martial artists practicing at your dojo.
Are you practicing for some upcoming competition?
In any competition, you would naturally want to give your best, but if a brand new gi is worn for the competition, then you might not feel comfortable in the new gi, which in turn would affect your performance. It is recommended to buy a new gi much earlier from the date of competition. The new gi can be worn in the competition, and the old gi can be worn during the training sessions.
However, you should wear the new gi for one or two training sessions, so that your body gets comfortable in it. Then wash it, starch it, iron it, and keep it away, so that it remains new, clean, and ready to wear in the competition. This way you can have a gi that is both comfortable and new for the competition. Meanwhile, till the date of competition arrives, continue your training sessions in the old gi.
But before buying the new gi, check out the rules and regulations of the competition. Competitions have strict rules regarding what can be worn and what cannot be worn. Select the fabric, cut, size, and color of the new gi as per the rules of the competition. If you have any doubts about the gi, always ask your instructor at the dojo.
If you are unsure about which gi to buy, then you may read, “Points to consider before buying a martial arts uniform“.
For washing your new or old gi, you may read, “Washing a Gi (Martial Arts Uniform)“.
If you are competing for a Karate kata, then you may read, “How to adjust a gi for a Karate Kata“.
And if you think that a particular color may affect your performance, then you may read, “Does the colour of a uniform affect performance in sports?“
Pacific Sports gi for competition or regular training
Martial artists all over the world favor Pacific Sports gi for both competition and regular training, because it offers numerous benefits.
- It provides unhindered and full range of motion, so you can smoothly practice different combinations of kicks, punches and blocks.
- It comes in different weights from 8oz to 18oz, so whether you are a beginner, intermediate or an advanced student, there is always a gi for you.
- It has reinforced stitching at the collar and edges of the jacket, so it does not tear while you practice grabbing, throwing or rolling techniques. The pants are gusseted to easily enable any type of kick, especially high kicks or flying kicks. An elasticated waistband with an internal draw string ensure that the pants fit you perfectly.
- It can be maintained very easily and can be washed either by hand or by a washing machine.
- It lasts a very long time. The fabric used is cotton, canvas, or a blend of cotton and polyester, which are weaved in different weaves, so that they last a very long time.
- It is made to exact specifications required by traditional martial arts dojos
- It shows that you are a capable decision maker as by wearing it, you have decided to follow the traditional way of journeying on the path of your chosen martial art.
- It shows that you are committed to the values of your martial art be it Taekwondo, Karate, Judo, or Jiu-Jitsu.
- It displays your intense focus to excel in your training, as when you wear a Pacific Sports gi, it helps you to become more focused and you can concentrate more in your training session.
- It tells others that you are a team player and stand united with the team. By wearing a Pacific Sports gi you become a part of a larger worldwide martial arts community who always choose to wear a Pacific Sports gi.
- It shows that you are giving respect to the martial art, to your seniors and to your juniors. By giving respect to others, you also get respect from others, and in this way, you ultimately become a respectable martial artist.
- It is available in different colors, like white, black, blue, and combination of black and red colors.
- It is available in different sizes, so that you can always have a gi that fits your perfectly. Please check out the size chart to find your size.
Pacific Sports quality
All products sold at Pacific Sports undergo rigorous testing. Numerous gyms and martial arts schools of Australia and the world, rely on the Pacific Sports quality for tough and long-lasting products, which includes uniforms, jackets, pants, belts, shoes, rash guards, compression wear, protective wear and training gear. Additionally, products offered on sale carry this same high quality but with drastically reduced prices. Moreover, if the monthly newsletter is subscribed, then an additional 10% discount is also offered.