Martial arts require intensive and rigorous training, which takes a toll on the martial arts uniform (gi). A martial artist needs to keep the gi in a good condition so that it lasts long. But how to make a martial arts uniform (gi) last long? In brief, taking good care of the gi would make it last long. However, few other important points should also be considered, so that the gi can last a very long time, for years and years of training.
Buy from a reputed seller
Check the sellers credibility and see whether they understand the requirements of a gi. Pacific Sports gi are worn by martial artists from all around the world, for regular training as well as for competition training.
Buy for a specific martial art
Different martial arts have different specifications for a gi. A Taekwondo gi is not the same as a Karate gi or a Jiu-Jitsu gi. Similarly, a gi for Judo is not the same as a gi for BJJ. Pacific Sports sells gi for Karate, Taekwondo, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, and BJJ.
Buy the right fabric, weight and color
Besides knowing which gi is for which martial art, one should also know about the different fabrics and their weights. A beginner might prefer a lighter weight gi in 8oz poly-cotton, and an intermediate student might go for a medium weight gi in 12oz cotton, while an advanced practitioner would buy a heavy weight gi in 18oz canvas. The color of the gi should also be chosen respective to what is being accepted in the dojo. Pacific Sports offers a gi in poly-cotton, cotton, and canvas fabrics; in weights of 8oz, 10oz, 12oz, 14oz, 16oz, and 18oz; and in white, black, blue, and a mix of red and black colors.
Check the features and benefits of the gi
The prime consideration should be functionality. The gi should be functional and should feel comfortable while wearing it. It should provide full range of motion and the stitching should not tear while performing stances, kicks, blocks and punches. There should also be several other features and benefits, which should be taken into consideration.
Pacific Sports gi features and benefits
Pacific Sports gi is reputed to have outstanding features and great benefits.
- It provides unhindered and full range of motion, so you can smoothly practice different combinations of kicks, punches and blocks.
- It comes in different weights from 8oz to 18oz, so whether you are a beginner, intermediate or an advanced student, there is always a gi for you.
- It has reinforced stitching at the collar and edges of the jacket, so it does not tear while you practice grabbing, throwing or rolling techniques. The pants are gusseted to easily enable any type of kick, especially high kicks or flying kicks. An elasticated waistband with an internal draw string ensure that the pants fit you perfectly.
- It can be maintained very easily and can be washed either by hand or by a washing machine.
- It lasts a very long time. The fabric used is cotton, canvas, or a blend of cotton and polyester, which are weaved in different weaves, so that they last a very long time.
- It is made to exact specifications required by traditional martial arts dojos
- It shows that you are a capable decision maker as by wearing it, you have decided to follow the traditional way of journeying on the path of your chosen martial art.
- It shows that you are committed to the values of your martial art be it Taekwondo, Karate, Judo, or Jiu-Jitsu.
- It displays your intense focus to excel in your training, as when you wear a Pacific Sports gi, it helps you to become more focused and you can concentrate more in your training session.
- It tells others that you are a team player and stand united with the team. By wearing a Pacific Sports gi you become a part of a larger worldwide martial arts community who always choose to wear a Pacific Sports gi.
- It shows that you are giving respect to the martial art, to your seniors and to your juniors. By giving respect to others, you also get respect from others, and in this way, you ultimately become a respectable martial artist.
- It is available in different colors, like white, black, blue, and combination of black and red colors.
- It is available in different sizes, so that you can always have a gi that fits you perfectly.
Wash the gi after every training session
Each training session is intensive, and a lot of sweat is produced. This sweat is absorbed by the fabric of the gi. If the gi is not washed, then the dried sweat in the gi becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and germs, which may cause skin irritations, skin rashes, or skin diseases. Therefore, after every training session, the gi should be washed. It is recommended to keep two gis, so that while one is being washed, the other can be worn in the training session.
Fold the gi
After washing, fold the gi in a traditional way or in any suitable manner, and keep it in the training bag ready for the next training session. When the training session is complete, again fold the gi. Folding a gi before and after training preserves the weave of the fabric and makes the gi last a long time. Simply dumping the gi in the training bag will create creases, wrinkles and those areas will ultimately tear under stress. Folding the gi occupies less space in the training bag and also makes it easy to carry otherwise.
Buy the correct size
A smaller size would result in a tight fit, which would hinder range of motion, and a bigger size would result in a loose fit, which would also obstruct smooth movement. Hence, the size of the gi has to be correct. Pacific Sports offers gi in different sizes to suit all body types.
Pacific Sports quality
All products sold at Pacific Sports undergo rigorous testing. Numerous gyms and martial arts schools of Australia and the world, rely on the Pacific Sports quality for tough and long-lasting products, which includes uniforms, jackets, pants, belts, shoes, rash guards, compression wear, protective wear and training gear. Additionally, products offered on sale carry this same high quality but with drastically reduced prices. Moreover, if the monthly newsletter is subscribed, then an additional 10% discount is also offered.